I would like to draw your attention to this thread on the Lush International Forum. For those who can’t or won’t click, the first post in the thread is by DirtyMagick. The title of the thread is I’m pretty sure I just found a maggot in my Butterball and the first post says
Or at least pieces of.
It’s been ages since I’ve bought any ‘luxury’, one use items from Lush (or much from Lush at all, really), but since I’ve been really pissed off at the fact that I’m no longer a normal human being that eats food, I decided to cheer myself up by buying some non edible treats a few weeks ago.
Today has been particularly tough with the smell of a roast wafting about the place, so it seemed like a good time for one of those ‘treats’.
When I got in the water I began my usual of scooping up any unmelted blobs of cocoa butter that are still floating to rub them into my skin.. Except this particular blob, upon rubbing it between my fingers, felt sort of mucilaginous.. nothing like the oily feeling I was expecting. I had a closer look at it and noticed that this clear gooey stuff seemed to have been contained in a kind of whitish skin, made up of a couple of short segments joined together and a brownish bit on one end. Really familiar looking,maybe resembles a very mushy bit of short brown rice? I thought. I couldn’t remember ever finding anything similar in a Butterball before, but I made a note to check ingredients later. During the bath I found another couple of these ‘segments’.
I’ve just looked up the ingredients; there’s nothing in there that it could have been. And it’s just dawned on me why they looked so familiar, those fleshy, scallop-edged segments. I’m far from squeamish but I’m really not amused to think that I’ve just shared my bathwater with the juice of a freshly squeezed maggot.
ETA just went to clean the cocoa butter off the sides of the bath and found this stuck to the bottom:
Butterball contains lots of cocoa butter, so this could easily be part of some sort of bug or larvae which was hidden in the cocoa butter. It’s almost certainly harmless, but it’s really pretty disgusting.