Someone emailed this to me today
Please please please keep this anonymous, I am terrified that you are actually a secret filtration system made by lush to catch out un-loyal employees, it wouldn’t surprise me at all!!
I am a Lush employee and have been for almost 2 years.
I’m not sure where to even begin telling you about issues that I (and my colleagues) have with our workplace.
I will just give you a long list of short points I guess….
– During winter we can’t close our doors, and our heating system is old and broken, we are not allowed to have heaters on the shop floor and work in 5-12 degree temperature (this is illegal, but alas, Lush have their own laws) nothing will be done for us, and we aren’t even allowed to wear coats.
– Our building is really old and flawed to say the least…. The pipes in the building are rotten I guess, and all of our walls (behind the shop floor obviously) are stained with water marks, and brown liquid stains. There is an unbarable smell of fecal matter once you leave the shop floor, some days it’s worse than others, but regardless, it shouldn’t exist in the first place!
– We have a leak in the building at times, and water will just start pouring from the ceiling. We have one plumber who comes to check these problems, (he is the one hired by Lush, so we cannot get another one) and he keeps on insisting there is NOTHING WRONG with the building….
– Our toilet constantly blocks, and oftentimes we have to work with no working toilet.
– Our store is in a quite dodgy area to say the least, we get people stealing constantly, and even though we beg and plead we are constantly refused security. We have to stop people from taking gift boxes on a constant basis. Putting ourselves in extremely uncomfortable situations when attending to drug addicts and drunks who wander into the store.
This is not just something that makes us uncomfortable- OUR STAFF HAVE BEEN PHYSICALLY HURT before- one staff member was punched in the face by a woman attempting to steal things, we are constantly verbally abused, and I personally have been the victim of sexual harassment on a number of occasions, and know other female members of staff in the same boat. NOTHING has been done for us. Not even when someone in the store opposite us (ironically the body shop) was chased by someone attempting to rob the store with a knife, he chased this girl screaming and crying with a knife. We are in danger and lush just don’t care.
– We constantly sell things unethically at the order of our manager, we sell gift boxes that are technically passed the sell by date, gifts should be on the shop floor (including other products) for no longer than 4 months, we have sold gifts in the passed that were passed the 7 month mark.
Again another “sales tactic” we use is if we undercut a piece of soap (by lush rules we cannot sell soap under 100 grams) we are told to weigh it with wrapping papers under it. Each sheet weighs 2 grams…. I even heard my boss training the new girl and TELLING her that when selling soap, she should weigh it with the sheets underneat, trying to make every penny count.
– We were told at training, that with Emotional Brilliance, if we see a person use/open a product for sale, we need to waste it on the system, however, we are told not to do this as its a waste of too much money, so in essence, we sell makeup that has been previously used…. Delicious!
– The markups on our products, don’t even get me started, it is ridiculous on certain things!!! We get to see in the system how much the making cost is for products. If you would like info- maybe 5/10 products or whatever, I can get you the info from work.
For now, that is all I will be complaining about, but if you have questions, please let me know…
Thank you for reading this rant also!!!
Again, the only thing I can say to these staff members is please please join USDAW or other appropriate union and get yourselves some support. You don’t – and you shouldn’t – have to put up with being assaulted at work!