An email from a Lush employee (edited to remove some identifying details).
I’ve been working at Lush for two months, as a Christmas temp and I had no intention of applying for a permanent position afterwards anyway. I shouldn’t be made to feel too nervous in the workplace right? I’m here to get the job done, and I bloody well do as I’ve used Lush loyally since I was about 10.
They didn’t hire as many Christmas temps as they wanted for Christmas (hired just over half of the number they wanted) and our manager has disappeared – no one seems to know if she’s sick or what but she’s on the rota.
Anyway so they get two assistant manager-y type people from head office sent to help us with the Christmas period. One of them is just *pure* evil. Beyond awful. She makes everyone feel extremely tense and uncertain about their work (even supervisors and permanent staff!) she totally isolates the temps, and a number of random incidents that I will list later.
Anyway, I know for a fact that several people now (including me) have called the Whistleblowing Hotline about her and her actions – me and at least 6 others so far. And what has Lush done? Absolutely nothing. So naturally, I wrote my notice in on Sunday. I’m very fortunate in that I have another job offer if I do leave Lush but so many of my colleagues don’t have that option and need the money!
When I started at the branch it was pure bliss and I couldn’t see a single thing wrong. Apparently our candy shop report from October was 2 stars – I read through it and honestly thought what bollocks it was. I’ve been visiting that store as a customer for years and couldn’t disagree more with what the report said.
Anywaaaaaaaayyyyyyy, back to this nightmare manager. She’s extremely rude and I know she was a manager at a Lush store in Europe – and her apparent claim for being so brash and purely awful is ‘well that’s how they did it there’. No. Don’t drag a nationality down because you’re a horrible person. She’s trying to change the whole shop and she’s succeeded because everyone now hates working.
Now for the list of things she’s done:
• Told a senior member of staff to ‘get a grip and come to work’ when she was struggling with mental health.
• Told a permanent member of staff who is pregnant to stop standing with her hands holding her stomach as it’s not ‘open’ enough.
• Told the temps that they’re ‘not as much use’ as other permanent members of staff whose actual abilities in the store are no greater than ours.
• Unprofessionally ‘bitched’ about another temporary (not a Christmas temp, a summer temp who was kept on) member of staff who asked her a question on the shop floor when it was quiet.
• Tells the new temps that the shop is doing x,y and z wrong when we know absolutely no better (we’ve been there two months!)
• Often rubs the backs and waists of members of staff on shop floor in a rather inappropriate and frankly (for me, anyway) uncomfortable manner.
• Constantly interrupted our absolutely lovely assistant manager at the Christmas Meeting when she wasn’t even partly presenting (she was sat with the rest of us)
And as I said, Lush head office or whoever manages the whistleblowing hotline has clearly done nothing. Absolutely nothing has suggested there will be any change. Can’t wait to leave.